PhD position available in the blood-brain barrier laboratory Artois University (Lens, France)
PhD candidate will work at the Blood-brain barrier (BBB) laboratory located in Lens, France. BBB-Lab is recognized as world expert in the modeling of the BBB. This team has carried out pioneering works in establishing animal models of the BBB which has been used to investigate BBB physiology and distribution of compounds for pharmaceutical industries. In 2013, the team set up a human in vitro model of the BBB which is now widely used for mechanistic studies and for permeability screenings, and consisting to cultivate CD34+-cells with brain pericytes.
Applications are invited for a 36 months PhD fellowship under the supervision of Pr Fabien Gosselet. The starting date is September 2019. The successful candidate will investigate the role of ABCA7 at the human blood-brain barrier level.
Supervisor/Director of the Lab : Pr. Fabien Gosselet
Starting date : 1st of september, 2019
Deadline to apply : 1st of march, 2019
Read our last publication relative to this work for more information :
Lamartinière Y, Boucau MC, Dehouck L, Krohn M, Pahnke J, Candela P, Gosselet, F, Fenart L. ABCA7 Downregulation Modifies Cellular Cholesterol Homeostasis and Decreases Amyloid-β Peptide Efflux in an in vitro Model of the Blood-Brain Barrier. J Alzheimers Dis. 2018;64(4):1195-1211. doi: 10.3233/JAD-170883. PubMed PMID: 30010117.
Applicants have to send a full CV to firstname.lastname@example.org (http://lbhe.univ-artois.fr/membres-lbhe/fabien-gosselet) before the 1st of March. Selection will be made by interviews using SKYPE or another visioconference system.
Your tasks :
• Cultivation of human primary cells
• Effects of molecules on BBB permeability and physiology
• Co-supervision of research students in the lab (B.Sc. & M.Sc.)
• Preparation of scientific publications, contribution to grant applications
• Master degree or equivalent in cell or molecular biology or related fields
• A knowledge of a wide range of methods in biochemistry and molecular biology, including silencing techniques
• Experience with in vitro models of BBB
• High motivation to do research and team spirit
• Fluency in English, knowledge of French is a plus.